Wednesday, June 27, 2007

comedic timing

Amado has been picking up some English, and he seems to pull it out at the perfect moment for maximum comedic impact.

The recent highlights:

The other day, Amado was eating a fresa. He came up to me and said, "quitar, hojas, mami." I was doing like 14 other things at that time, so I admit I gave a half-hearted attempt. I pulled off the hojas but left in the stem. I handed it back to him. He looked at it and then looked at me. Then we walked over to my sister, and said, "nina, quitar, este". She pulled out the whole stem carefully, like she always does. He thanked her, then turned back to me, I guess figuring I might be offended by the request for a re-do from someone that wasn't me. He said, "sorry-bout-that, mami" then ran off, slurping on his fresa.

A few days later, I was trying to put Amado to bed (Jason got the night off from his regular job because it was his birthday). I am trying to encourage more independence in that process, trying to let him work it out on his own a bit. So, he was still awake, but I put him in his cuna and told him that I would sit in the chair and sing 2 times and after that, I was going to leave. I started to sing, and Amado, completely exhausted, laying face down in his cuna, started yelling "Help! Help!". Oh, man. It took everything I had to keep singing "Elene la Ballena" and not start cracking up. Seriously, I didn't even know he knew that word. And then he was exhausted, calling for someone to resuce him from his terrible fate of sleep.

And today, I think he called me "dude". It was almost 8, I had already given him like 3 warnings that it was almost time for bed. It was the moment of truth - I knew we had to do it now. So I laid hm down to put on his pijamas. He told me he wanted to play more with his Camion de Bomberos. I told him that he could play with it first thing in the morning. To which he responded, "Come on, dude".

No comments: